What is a TEDx event?
Imagine a day filled with brilliant speakers, thought-provoking video and mind-blowing conversation. By organizing a TEDx event, we create a unique gathering in our community that will unleash new ideas, inspire and inform.
A TEDx event is a local gathering where live TED-like talks and videos previously recorded at TED conferences are shared with the community. TEDx events are fully planned and coordinated independently, on a community-by-community basis. The content and design of each TEDx event is unique and developed independently, but all of them have features in common.
A suite of short, carefully prepared talks, demonstrations and performances that are idea-focused, and cover a wide range of subjects to foster learning, inspiration and wonder – and provoke conversations that matter.
TED Talk videos
Every TEDx event either shows only TED Talk videos to its audience, or shows both TED Talk videos and live speakers from the community. For events less than half a day in length, two TED Talks videos are required to be shown. For longer events, 25% of the total number of talks must be official TED Talk videos. All TED Talk videos can be found on TED.com.
Diversity of topics
All TEDx events present multiple issues and a diversity of voices from many disciplines. After all, what’s the fun without a little variety?
Community-driven and bias-free content
A TEDx event is organized by volunteers from the local community, and just like TED events, it lacks any commercial, religious or political agenda. Its goal is to spark conversation, connection and community.
What a TEDx event is not:
- A TEDx event isn’t an industry or marketing conference. It isn’t limited to one topic or field. It isn’t used to sell something.
- A TEDx event is not organized by or for special-interest political, religious or commercial groups.
- A TEDx event cannot be used to raise money, not even for a charity.
- A TEDx event cannot partner with another conference or event.
- A TEDx event can’t be co-branded with an institution except under specific license types – for a college or university, or for internal events (for corporations and organizations).
- A TEDx event is not a platform for professional speakers, such as motivational speakers and professional life coaches. Its purpose is to give a platform to those who don’t often have one.
- A TEDx event is not focused solely on entrepreneurship, business or technology. Diversity of topics is key!